Sunday, March 27, 2016

An Apple for the Teacher - 4th Grade Wisdom

I have written before about advice that shaped my teaching philosophy and teaching career - wisdom I  received from my principal and my cooperating teacher while student teaching.

But, one of the most long lasting bits of wisdom came from one of my 4th grade students.

One morning a young girl came up to my desk, and handed me this apple.

She looked at me and said, "I cut out all the bad parts for you."

After the students went to PE later that morning, I took a picture of the apple to remember that moment.

You see, this was a young lady who had experienced a lot of 'bad parts' in her life- her mom and dad both had problems with their health and the law.  She struggled with reading and with friendships. She had experienced many of the 'bad parts' that life could offer.
But, instead of focusing on those, she faced each day with a sunny attitude - ready to try again.

This rather blurry picture of a lovingly carved apple has stayed with me for the last 10 years.
It continues to remind me that it's all about DECIDING.
Each day I get to make the decision about what my attitude will be.
I get to decide which parts I want to cut out!

That is wisdom to live by!!

No comments: