Monday, January 26, 2015

Connection Tools

I am always looking for new ways to connect device to one another.

Here are a two that connect you iPad to your computer for different reasons.

Chrome Remote Desktop

I introduced to a simple tool to connect your iPad to your chrome browser on your computer by Educational Technology and Mobile Learning.  This works great in a classroom setting where you want to move around the room with your iPad, but use the projector capabilities of our laptop or desktop.

In order to make this work there are a couple of preparation steps.

  1. install the Chrome Remote Desktop app on your iPad.
  2. install the Chrome Remote Desktop Google app found in the Google Play store
  3. Once it is installed you will need to launch the app by clicking on the multicolored Apps button in the bookmark bar of Chrome.
  4. Find the Chrome Remote Desktop app and launch it 
  5. Click on "Enable remote connections"
  6. Create a pin you will not forget.
  7. Enable your computer by adding the pin to this window.
  8. Open the Chrome Remote Desktop app on your iPad.
    1. if you have more than one google account you will need to choose the one you want my clicking on the three lines in the top left corner
  9. Click on the computer name on your iPad.
  10. Add the pin that you created and connect.

And here is the desktop of my computer!
From here I can move to different tabs, and do whatever I need to in Chrome.

I love it!










Simple Transfer

This is an iPad app that connects devices.  I wish I could remember where I first heard about this app  - I'd love to give credit. But, sadly I don't remember.
Here is how it works.
  1. Download Simple Transfer from the app store on your iPad.
  2. Open the app on your computer.  
  3. Click on the type of transfer  at the bottom of the screen.
  4. For iPad to computer transfer - open a new tab in your browser - type in the ip address listed on the screen
  5. Check out the limitations listed - 50 photos per album. If you want to transfer more than 50 pics, create another album.
This works so well between devices!  A great tool to have!


No comments: