Monday, April 28, 2014

Shared with Me in Google Drive

I think one of the things I am asked the most is,  "What do I do with the mess that is Shared with me?"

Here is my advice...

When I was teaching there were always bits of info left laying on the table in the teachers lounge. It was tidbits that were available to all of us.  They were left on the table and after a day or so someone would move them to the counter so they didn't get splattered on. They ended up in a stack there.  If any of the info was important to me - I would make a copy of it and take it back to my own classroom. So I had it later.

That stack of stuff on the table is "Shared with Me."  Anything that is shared ends up pell mell in that folder.  There are things that pertain to you and some that don't.  But - the hard part is that you can't organize that folder - don't even try!

Instead - if there is something in the folder that is important to you follow these steps

  1. open the doc or presentation
  2. file - make a copy
  3. name it so it makes sense to you
  4. now it is in your drive so you want to put it somewhere so you can find it again
    1. file - move to folder
The original will still be in Shared with Me - and now you can ignore it!  You have what you need in your own drive!

Good Luck!

No comments: